Sunday, January 14, 2007

Career Day

[This is just more whining. I'd skip it if I were you.]

I am, ostensibly, a network engineer at a small Internet server provider here in Madison. Up until last weekend, I had pretty strange hours: 9:00am-6:00pm on weekends, and 3:00pm-12:00am Monday through Wednesday.

Now, however, I've switched to 3:00pm-12:00am Sunday through Thursday. I was looking forward to it before it happened, because now I actually have a weekend for the first time in well over a year. What I didn't realize is just how boring my job is going to be because of this.

On Saturdays and Sundays, I'd basically get to run the place myself all day. It was actually fun a lot of the time. It made me feel important. As it is now, the only things I'll be doing are what can't be done during the day. I get notes saying "so-and-so will be coming in to do something around 8:00" and "replace this item after 10:00." And that's it. I read through a hundred and fifty emails when I got in today, and the only one that pertained to me was to reboot something after 11:00pm.

I get no projects to work on and nothing to do. I feel isolated from the rest of the staff, (did I mention there's no one else here for 55% of my work week?) and I feel completely useless. The only reason I'm here at all is because the company is trying to go 24/7 to compete with the big guys, and they need someone to fill hours. That's not much for job security. If the economy ever went to hell, I'd be first or second on the chopping block.

I'm going to start keeping an eye out for another job. This is ridiculous.